Tuesday 2 October 2012

Radiotherapy

Well, I was back home - complete with a collection of metal pins in my spine to stablise it - apparantly it could have gone at any time. Maybe my GP should have listened to me when I asked for an xray all those times I was in agony - but, who am I to question the medical profession?
   At that point I could hardly get around at all, I felt very down but it was quite a surreal time. If it hadnt been for my niece Julie dropping in every day with a sandwich and to make me cups of tea, I don't know what I would have done. She was a godsend, she was determined that I wouldn't fall into depression and gave me loads of pointers to try to keep my spirits up.
   But at that time it was hard for us all - we hadnt been given any kind of prognosis, other than I wouldn't be able to go to Zante in August as I would be too ill. So that got me thinking that maybe I wouldn't see Xmas. We didn't discuss that though - it was only very much later that we all admitted to having the same thoughts.   
   Medically the plan was to start off with Tamoxifen immediately - start the fight from within. Then the start of many trips to the hospital - Christies at Manchester to start with. Radiotherapy on my left hip, then my upper and lower spine, the idea being to try and get me more mobile. At this time I was still on crutches and not able to drive until I got the all clear from\ my back consultant. Julie was called into action again - she made sure I got to every session on time and kept me company while I waited to be seen. I have to say that the staff at Christies were superb - nothing was too much trouble and there is such a sense of calm around in a place that is busier than you could imagine. Who would have thought that a hospital built just for cancer patients would be so well populated. Its frightening how many people are affected by this horrible condition.
   For anyone starting radiotherapy, all I can say is that its fine. No need to be scared or anything, its a lot of lying around still while they get you marked up and into the right position, then the zapping itself is over in minutes. After effects for me were a general lack of appetite and a great deal of exhaustion. But then again I was still recovering from a major back operation so that could have added to my general tiredness.
   I didn't really move far from my bed, partly because my leg and back were still giving me jip and partly because I just didn't have any energy. So it was meals in bed and lots of Jeremy Kyle. You don't realise how many episodes you're able to watch in one day - far too many for your general disposition!!
   My ex Mick stayed around to support Dan and to help out as I couldn't do anything practical in the house. He shopped, cooked and cleaned and made sure I was fed and watered.
   By July I had started to pick up a bit. I was getting around a lot more on my crutches and after getting the all clear from my back consultant, I was even driving a bit. Things were starting to look a bit better. Then of course, disaster struck once more............

No comments:

Post a Comment